Saturday, March 12, 2011

Top 10 Breakfasts!

I love Saturdays!  I love blue skies! I love love love 50 degree weather.  I cannot wait till it gets warmer out.  Today is a taste of what good things will come.

The mail man brought me the March Foodzie tasting box.  Six yummy new foods to try out.  I cannot wait to try the Hot Chocolate on a stick or the blue cheese and fig short bread. Also included are mint tea bags, Kale crackers, a homemade candy bar (Mr. J already called this.  I think he forget this was a gift FROM him TO me!) and caramels made from coconut milk.


Jordan and I stopped by Starbucks for a coffee and a sample of their petites, small portion desserts.  Today between 2-5pm they were free with a beverage.  I got my latte and Mr. J got his coffee.  Out of all of the choices we both wanted the same one, a salted caramel bar. 



It was good but I thought the bar was going to be a bit more brownie like...as in MORE chocolate and caramel. 

Now on to the breakfasts.  I didn't get to 10 but here are my all-time favorite quickies that get me to lunch time (almost).  They are in no particular order because I like them all.

1. Yogurt and granola.  I normally add more nuts for protein and a banana.  This was my breakfast this morning.  I was out of bananas.  It was sad so I added coconut to make up for the lack of banana.


 2. Smoothie in a bowl: I love smoothies in the morning especially when it is hot out.  I also like dumping loads of spinach in it to get an extra serving of veggies in for the day.  If you add a banana you cancel out the taste of spinach.  Lately I have been topping it with a bit of granola.  Other toppings include coconut and any quick bread or muffin.


3. Frozen waffles.  Not they are not the REAL thing but Kashi and Van's make really good, really healthy frozen waffles.  Pop two in the toaster oven and top with bananas and any kind of nut butter.  I also like coconut butter and creamed honey for a special treat.


4. Oatmeal.  Oatmeal is great whether it is steel cut oat or the quick cooking kind.  Again, banana and granola are top choices for toppings.  I also put in jams, pumpkin butter and nut butters.  Sorry for the ugly picture but this is the best one I could find.


5.  Toast!  I love toast if it is really good bread.  I am a fan of dry toast.  Yes, I do realize how weird this is but I really like it.  For breakfast, however, dry toast would last me about 20 minutes before I wanted more food.  So again I top with nut butter and bananas.  Do you see a theme with nut butter and bananas?


 6. Cereal.  Again you have to get the good stuff.  My favorites are Kashi and Barbara Puffins.  Add banana or blueberries and finish all of the milk.  You will be good to go!



Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day.  I never go without breakfast and normally scarf it down within an hour of waking up.  If I don't I get grumpy!  The above are my go-to choices for both weekdays and weekends.  Sometimes I will make some eggs during the week.  I also love chocolate chip pancakes but that is more of a special treat.  We when go out for breakfast it is all about the pancakes!  Mr. J, of course likes steak and eggs. 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for visiting my blog and entering my giveaway...thought I'd pop in and check out your blog. Looking at your cookbooks collection, many of your favorites are mine as well...I love Ina and Mark Bittman!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...