Monday, March 14, 2011

Pi Day!

Today is 3-14!  For those of you who are not mathematicians 3.14 is Pi, a very special number.  To celebrate I made PIE!  Yumm! Yes, this makes me an official geek.



I had a store bought pie crust sitting in my fridge from way back when.  Pie crust is one of the few things that I completely think it is worth just buying.  My go-to use is for making quiche.  Mr. J can only eat so much quiche though so I always end up with just one pie crust left.  I guess that means pie.


I cheated again and used frozen fruit.  I wanted blueberries but after I filled the pie shell it seemed a bit underfilled. I added about a 1/2 cup of raspberries to fill it out.


Make some struesel. 


Top the pie and bake.


It was good.


Very good!


That aboue sums it up!  Happy Pi Day!



Frozen fruit pie
20 oz frozen blueberries  or other berry fruit (4 cups)
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
pinch of salt (1/8 teaspoon)
1 tablespoon orange juice
1 tablespoon cinnamon
store bought pie crust

Preheat oven to 350 degrees with rack at lowest setting. Put one piece of pie crust and put in pie pan. In medium bowl put frozen berries. Toss with sugar, flour and salt. Pour in orange juice and mix together. Add berry mixture to pie dish making sure that any additional dry ingredients gets spread evenly on top of the fruit.
 
Struesel:
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cut oats
1 tablespoon cinnamon
4 tablespoon butter
 
Blend with pastery cutter.  Top pie.  Bake for 35-45 minutes until crust is cooked through.
 

2 comments:

  1. Yay for Pi Day!! I went with chocolate, but this sounds absolutely amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What an easy pie recipe and you can replace the blueberries with whatever fruit is in season.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...