Monday, March 7, 2011

Take two: Chicken Tikka Masala

You may remember when I attempted this the first time.  Chicken Tikka Masala is one of my favorite meals.  I was beyond excited when I found a crockpot recipe to whip it up.  I made it, and ate it, and then realized I had left out the cream/milk at the end of the recipe.  Tikka Masala is a CREAMY tomato sauce.  Leaving out this key ingredient ruined it for me.  This time I was sure not to forget.


Chicken Tikka Masala
INGREDIENTS:
1 1/2LBS boneless/skinless chicken breast, rinsed and cubed
3 inch piece of ginger, grated finely
5 cloves of garlic, grated finely
1 red chilies, finely chopped (optional if you like a little heat)
1 Tbsp yellow mustard seeds, lightly toasted
1 Tbsp paprika
 2 tsp ground cumin
 2 tsp ground coriander
 2 Tbsp garam masala
3/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
1 Tbsp canola oil
1 large onion, thinly sliced
3 Tbsp tomato paste
1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
1/2 cup ground cashews
1 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 cup milk
DIRECTIONS:1. Mix the garlic, ginger, (chilies), mustard seeds, paprika, cumin, coriander, and garam masala in a bowl. Put half of this mixture in a large mixing bowl and set the rest aside.

2. Add the yogurt to the mixing bowl and mix it in with the spices and add in the chicken cubes.

3. Let the chicken marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes or up to 2 hours if your schedule allows it.

4. In another mixing bowl, whisk together the tomato paste, tomato sauce and water.

5. Heat the oil in a skillet on medium heat and, when hot, add the onions and the remaining spice mixture and let the onions soften gently for about 5 minutes.

6. Add into the crockpot: chicken mixture, onion mixture, tomato sauce mixture, cashews and salt. Stir until all combined.

7.Simmer on low for about 4-5 hours or on high for 3-4 hours. This will thicken the liquid and the chicken will melt into tender shreds.

8. Stir in the milk towards the end when there is only about 20 more minutes of cooking.



Serve with basmati rice.

Overall I think it is a bit too spicy, or at least the ratio of the different spices are a bit off.  I have since seen more chicken tikka masala recipes.  Next time I am going to experiment a bit more.

1 comment:

Thanks for leaving a message. I always love hearing your thoughts and comments.

You might also like reading:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...